Virginia’s Whole Wheat Pancakes
1 cup (4.25 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (4.5 ounces) whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 egg whites)
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, cornmeal, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In a blender, purée the egg whites, honey, vanilla, buttermilk and melted butter until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
3. Gently whisk the dry and liquid ingredients together to form a batter. This makes about 5 cups batter.
4. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Grease the surface, then ladle half-cups of the batter to form each pancake. Cook until puffed and golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
5. This makes 8 to 10 pancakes. The restaurant serves them with butter and maple syrup.
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 to 10 pancakes
Recipe Submitted by Virginia